One of the things I get asked the most by so many of my clients is if I love my job. Being a makeup artist is fun and so rewarding, and I’m so lucky to be able to have my passion be my career. Here are the top 10 reasons why I love being a makeup artist.
1. I have the best clients! My clients are all amazing women. They are strong, successful, beautiful, and sweet. They are women that I connect with right away, and it feels like we have been friends forever. It really makes my job fun when the people I work with feel like friends.
2. I’m doing something I’ve loved since I was a kid. I’ve always loved beauty, and have been giving people makeovers my whole life. I used to play with makeup (and had my own play makeup) when I was young, and really started experimenting with my own makeup since I was officially allowed to wear it in 7th grade. I’m lucky that my mom would always do her own makeup, and was my role model to be the artist I am today.
3. I love having a flexible schedule. I used to work a traditional Monday through Friday 9-5 job and it just didn’t suit me. I love being able to work when I want to work, and take time off when I need to without having to get someone’s approval. And yes, during wedding season it’s a little hard that I am working every weekend, but since most of my friends are entrepreneurs, artists or wedding vendors, we all seem to have the same time off, so it works out in the end.
4. It is such an honor to be asked to be a part of someone’s very special day. I love working with brides and making them feel pampered and beautiful on their special day. It’s an amazing feeling to be able to witness the joy a woman feels on her wedding day.
5. I get to work with friends every day. I work with amazing vendors and artists, and it really makes the day so fun when we collaborate together and create a beautiful experience for a wedding, or some beautiful art.
6. I can be creative and get to play dress up with my clients. I loved playing with dolls and Barbies when I was young, and to be able to still do that with my clients is pretty cool, and really fun. When I was in the 9-5 world, I longed to do something artistic, and would try my hardest to find ways to make my sales job more creative. I couldn’t find fulfillment in it, but now my imaginative desires are filled.
7. Emotion! My favorite part of doing someone’s hair and makeup is seeing her reaction when she looks in the mirror after I’m done. I love being able to make someone feel gorgeous, whether it’s for their wedding day, a photo shoot or a fun event. I’ve gotten tears, shrieks of delight, hugs, bows of worship, and huge smiles to name just a few of the reactions at the end of a session. There is nothing that feels as good as making a woman feel good about herself.
8. My work takes me to amazing locations. I’ve been to some really incredible wedding venues, wineries, and locations that I might not have known about or gotten to see. I can’t wait to see where this year takes me.
9. The photos. I love seeing the end result of my work. Whether it’s a simple photo shoot or a wedding, it’s so rewarding to see my hard work captured forever in a print. Being a part of something creative and beautiful and having that tangible reminder is priceless.
10. Being a part of PMA. It is such an honor and blessing to be a part of PMA, and to call these wonderful women my friends. I’ve been working with PMA for almost 3 years now, and have seen myself grow as an artist, a team player and a business woman. Being a makeup artist can be very isolating, and I am so grateful to have these women for their support and friendship.
In kindness and love,